Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My child! My teacher!

Here is conversation I had with my Trey:

This morning Trey woke up and came out of his room, still half asleep. "Mom, can I talk to you?" I thought something was wrong.

We went into my room and he said, "Mom, I need ten dollars?" The thing is he just had his birthday and he has $120 in cash or gift cards, so I was immediately perplexed.

"Why?", in that tone of voice reserved for mothers.

"Because I want to buy Shane a blue DS for his birthday tomorrow and all I have is $120. So I need more to buy it."

My precious child is willing to spend all of his birthday money on his brother! I talked to him about it and he said that is what he wants to do! End of discussion! So today I will take my oldest child to the store where he will willingly hand over all of his money for the present of his brother. Why? Because he loves him!

So today I say thank you to my son for teaching me a lesson in love and giving (can these two verbs be separated)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. What a sweet hearted child. Job well done Christie.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Oh.my.goodness.

And I thought my son was doing well by buying all his siblings a $5 toy with his bday money.

You wait til I show this to my kids. :))

Anonymous said...

Wow! You must be proud. Being freed from the love of money is one of the greatest, life-transforming things. Your son is an example to all of us.