Thursday, October 16, 2008

Control is an illusion

I spoke on the subject of control, briefly, last week. There were quite a few people who had a problem with the statement, "Control is an illusion." Now I have to admit quite a few years ago, I would have had the same reaction. But a few things have changed since then. One is I have learned that control is an illusion. Now, mind you, this is coming from a typical first-born, type A, minor ocd personality type. I have had my issues with control (and some may say I still do, but I can't control what they think!) I have learned this fact: I cannot control one thing in my life other than my reaction to it, and even that is sometimes tricky.

There is not one thing that I have absolute control over. As much as I would like to, I can not "control" my children. I can discipline them and instruct them in ways that are right, but I can not "make" them do what is right. When they are left alone they will make their own choices, and thus suffer the consequences, and I can't control that either.

I can not control whether or not a hurricane will devastate my town. I can prepare with the necessary supplies, but where that storm hits is not up to me.

I can not control my parents... I can not control the economy or the gas prices...I can not control the neighbor's dislike for children...I can not control our government leaders...I can not control church attendance... I can not control ________.

When you think about, how burdened would my life be if these things were possible. And yet we live as if these things were possible.

Forgetting that it is God who puts these things in order. It is God who takes care of his people and his creation. It is God who orders the heavens, as well as our government. It is God who has ultimate control, we are just privileged to be included in his plan.

The only thing that I can have any influence in is "Am I open to the Holy Spirit's leading?"

And so that is why I say Control is an illusion!

2 comments:

livingpurereligion said...

I needed to read this today as our life is quickly spinning out of "control" today! It's a good spinning, but spinning nonetheless~ Control... our control... certainly is an illusion. Today I will put my trust in the One who truly has control. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

great blog!! so true. This blog reminded me of Galatians 5:22 about when the Holy Spirit "controls" our life, he will produce the fruit in us. In other words, help us with the reaction (my paraphrase).

thanks for the great insight!