Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pure Religion

The orphans from Haiti are arriving in the United States these next few weeks. Some have already been in the adoption process, only waiting for paperwork to be united with their forever family. While others will be coming with no one to call home. They will be in group homes or foster homes. In Florida, there is already a desperate need for foster homes, so the influx of more children will be a strain on the already strained system.

And this is where God's people step in. It is very clear in scripture that this is pure religion in the sight of God, taking care of the widows and orphans, James1:27. If we, who are called by His name, do not step in the gap to help the afflicted and orphaned, who will?

I hear people say, but I am not qualified or I am afraid or how will it affect our lives or our children...
I struggled with this idea myself as I tried to discern the desire to adopt. We had three beautiful boys and we were very content with our life. Yet there was a nagging pressure that I could not get rid of. The desire was ever before me. I wrestled with God, questioning His, dare I say, wisdom. I wondered how it would affect my children, how it would affect my marriage, how it would effect our general way of life. And then, in my limited thinking, I thought that this had to be some desire that was caused from some abstract hole in my life. But I soon realized this was from God. I asked Him, Is it wrong to want to help these orphans? And the answer came to me, How could it be wrong? How can something pure and undefiled be wrong in God's eyes. It can't!

It changed our life, but sometimes that is a good thing. It affected our children, in many ways. Now they know the plight of the orphans. They understand child abuse can change a child's life forever. They understand that patience is needed with people because one never knows another's story until they lived it. They have a deeper understanding of how prayer changes things. They understand teamwork. They are also learning a few parenting skills along the way.

In our marriage, we have learned that we are a great team when we work together. We have learned to be patient with each other. I have learned to love my husband more. When I watch him sit down and read a book to them or when he fixes Summer's hair with tenderness, I fall in love him all over again.

With me personally, I have learned to rely on God. My faith has grown deeper because I have seen His hand work in my children's lives.

I hear people say, but I am not qualified or I am afraid or how will it affect our lives or our children...
God does not require perfection only obedience. He knows we will mess up and yet He still loves us. AND he loves our children even more than we could!!

Being a foster/adoptive parent is the hardest thing I have ever done. But most things worth doing are! We have questioned our sanity at times, but then realized we would not be sane without our children!

No comments: