Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Tie that Binds!

(This post came out of my group of beautiful ladies that pray on Tuesday nights. They encouraged me through a minor thing, but gave me inspiration to write this. We have cried and laughed a BUNCH these past four years. Sharing in each others joys and sharing each others pain. You give me wings and strength and courage and I thank you!)gcmsd

There have been many people who share their stories with Robbie and I over these past few years and we are amazed at the amount of pain that people carry with them through life. There is a common thread through many of these people. Many say the same thing, or a variation of the same sentiment, "I thought I was alone in the pain." "Everyone else seems to have it all together." "I am the only one who feels this way." And it has occurred to me that we all walk around with these burdens thinking we are isolated, but yet everyone we come into contact with has another burden, it may not be identical to the one you are carrying, but it still produces the same byproduct... pain.

How clever of the enemy, if he can convince us that we are "the only one", then we are vulnerable to his attacks. And our goal becomes only to keep it a secret, and we will do anything to protect the image of "all-togetherness" for the sake of being "just like everyone else." What a ruse, a scam, a mirage? What ever you call it, it is a lie!

What if the very thing the enemy meant to make us weak is the very thing that makes us strong? What if the common thread became "I understand your pain because I have pain as well? It is the human condition to know pain. And it is the tie that binds us all. If we come together sharing each others burdens we know we are not alone and that gives us strength.

So I will ask the question again, What if the very thing the enemy meant to make us weak is the very thing that makes us strong?

(Please post a comment because I feel like I am talking to myself here! Kind of like being all alone!! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely right--it's why there are cancer support groups and grief support groups, because there is comfort and strength to be found when you know someone just understands what you mean and how you feel.
People are always surprised that other people also carry burdens of pain and grief around under their hearts all the time even when going through the normal everyday motions as everyone else.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. You are not in blog world all alone, but I can definitely see how some responses are nice now and again!
Not until I opened up to other women (who I thought had "IT" all together) did a true friendship/connection take place for all of us. There is strength in weakness.
I'll have to share a story with you sometime......

Michelle said...

This is so freeing, & I pray we can embrace this truth & quit the facades and pretenses... it is so exhausting! We all live in a fallen world, resulting in pain and suffering. When we experience it, it doesn't mean we have done something wrong... acknowledging our poverty in spirit is the beginning of true healing and filling of joy by the One who restores us. We were created in His image, to have relationship, the way the Father and Son and Holy Spirit do, a circle of love. Sharing our hearts and hurts unites & strengthens us. Thank you for this insight and for all the times you support and encourage me through my pain.

jangreggo said...

I am breathing a 'peppy' sigh of relief! :) It is particularly exhausting to live up to the expectations of other Christ-followers rather than living in the freedom we're really given in Christ. Thanks for the insight.