Thursday, September 11, 2008

Growing Up

I am not sure how the conversation started. I think it started when I said to the boys something like this, "C'mon, babies, let's go!" In that tone of playfulness that a mom uses, not in a high pitched sweet way, just a c'mon let's go way. (Wish I could attach audio here.) To which one said, "Mom we are not babies!" To which I said,"I know you are not babies, but it does not matter how old you are, you will always be my baby." To which another said, "Mom, you don't want us to ever grow up, do you?" So then the conversation started.

I explained to them that being a parent was the most difficult thing. Because my job, as a parent, is for them to become strong, independent men, but when that happens they will go away... to a new house... with a wife ...and their own family...and they will not want me around anymore. But on the other hand, I would not want it any other way. I want them to take care of themselves. I want them to be independent. I want them to be self-sufficient! I want them to be strong! But I want them to be my babies forever! I want to be able to cradle them in my arms! But when they are all those manly things, I won't be able to protect them. I might not know where they are every second of the day or if they are safe! But I sure as heck don't want to raise wimps! So, you see my dilemma? OK, now I am starting to tear up just thinking about it!

And then I thought, "Wow, I am so glad our heavenly father does not kick us out of the nest!" We can still be His precious babies until we are 119 years old! WE are never to old to crawl up in His lap!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Christie...I am right there with you on this one. I have only one boy (and the connection between a mom/son is different than a mom/daughter relationship...it just is), but as a 15 year old boy, Connor still asks me to "tuck him in and say prayers"...I know it won't last much longer, but I'll take it while it's there! It reminds me of when he learned to ride a bicycle..it was Emily's. He was so thrilled with the fact he could ride a bike...he rode it all the time! He had no problem that it was purple and a girl's bike...that is until the neighborhood kids told him he was riding a girl bike. Fortunately no other neighborhood kids are around during bed-time to tell him most 15 year old boys don't say prayers with their mom at night. I'll hold on to this as long as he asks.