Monday, September 29, 2008

Teaching our Children

As many of you know, Robbie and I are foster parents. This is not something we ever thought we would be doing. It was a long process that we went into kicking and screaming, but it was led by God. We went into it wanting to adopt. But along the way we have helped families, that ultimately led to reunification and the healing of families. It is one of the toughest things that I have ever done personally. I have poured my life into these children and then they are taken away. Along with the heartache that I have felt, I have also had to hold my grieving children as they cried because of the loss, which only magnifies my heartache.

I have had many people say they could never do that, because of the "damage" it would cause their own children. I have listened to this and questioned myself many times on the negative impact this may have on our children as it relates to this mission.

Then I saw this on ESPN the other day on Rennie Curran. It is a small biography of his life. He talks about poverty in his family because of his parents responsibility to family members. But because of this struggle it has made him stronger. If this struggle has made him into a better person, then why are we so bent on protecting our children from everything?

And then I had this thought maybe our children (as in children as a whole) have it way too easy! Because I know in our house this "struggle" has been a wonderful learning opportunity. We talk about the fact that we really miss this child, but we pray for this child and give them to God asking God to bless and protect. We also have learned that helping people is incredibly hard and requires sacrifice. We also have learned that pain should never stop us from helping the next person. My children are not just learning this, they are living it! Because even through the loss they still understand the mission. Yes, they complain because of this or that inconvenience. But if I were to tell them that another child needs our help, they would say with all their heart, Let's go get 'em!

And so I go back to my question, why do we as a society feel the need to insulate our children from everything painful? Could it be that we as parents are afraid of our pain and do not understand how to deal with our own emotions? Now here is my disclaimer, I am in NO WAY advocating causing or inflicting pain on the innocent. I am not saying we should be seeking to find some agony to "teach" our children. What I am saying is that when pain is presented, use it to teach them about becoming a man/woman. Use it to teach them about the healing power of our sovereign God. Use it to make them into better humans. Use it to teach them that avoiding discomfort at the expense of another's torture is selfish.

And never let your children's "comfort" be an excuse in not doing good!

2 comments:

livingpurereligion said...

Beautiful post and a wonderful reminder! Thank you for sharing. Our family is going through a lot of pain right now as we wait (several more years) for our children to come home from Haiti. Every single day my girls ask if their brother and sister will be coming home that day. Every time we do something fun or something exciting happens, they wish that their brother and sister were there to share it with them. I have regretted, in the past, even telling them we are adopting... knowing the risk and the heart ache that inevitably comes with this process. You reminded me that it is OK for our children to hurt, to sacrifice, to grow through pain. Certainly this time of longing for their siblings, has created a love and bond for them (as well as orphans around the world) that would not be quite as strong if it hadn't come with a little bit of struggle. Praise God.

The Equipped Life said...

I really enjoyed the little I read yesterday from your blog (we should visit - I think we have a lot in common, lol) and wanted to come back to read more.

We are dealing with something right now with our son, and I have been ambivilating (is that a real word?) and this was just a perfect ... confirmation?..?.... of action that we need to take in order to help him grow into a productive being of good, strong character.

Thanks for the reminder