Monday, October 13, 2008

First Reactions

I wish my first reaction to a difficult situation was grace. Far too often it is not! Yesterday, during church, an issue arose that made me want to scream! (It was a personal situation and had nothing to do with anyone at church! So don't read this and think I am talking about you!) But instead of grace, I hid. Yes, literally, hid in my hiding space (not telling you where this is!) I hid so that I could regroup and allow grace to flow. Then I went into the bathroom, washed my hands, looked into the mirror and said, out loud, "Christie, Practice Grace!" and then I heard a toilet flush in a stall. I thought I was alone, but I wasn't! (I ran out before I saw who it was) Kind of embarrassing!

But back to my original thought. Why can't my first reaction be grace? Why do I need to go into the bathroom and give myself a pep talk? Why doesn't grace just happen? I know some will say, "You must first understand God's grace before it can flow through you." I do know and experience God's grace. He is so gracious to me in more ways than I even know! He overwhelms me with His grace. But my gut reaction is to spew, now mind you I don't do that but I want to!

So I guess I will continue to practice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not sin to be tempted (even to spew); it's only sin to entertain the temptation. Give yourself a break. :)