Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Warning: I am talking politics now!


OK! My tongue is bleeding because I am biting it too much!

A few weeks ago as I was scanning the bloggy world, I came across a few blogs talking about politics and specifically Sarah Palin. These were not political blogs but blogs by christian women. The meat of the posts were something like this:

"Great! Now I can't vote for McCain because he picked a woman as his running mate."

"Hasn't McCain read the bible where it says women should not 'rule' over men."

(And my personal favorite) "McCain is evil because he chose a woman." Yes, the author actually used the word evil.

Now here is where I will take a deep breath.

Are you kidding me?

Please everyone get out your bibles and turn to Judges 4. In this chapter you will find a very interesting thing. There was a woman (gasp) judging Israel (even bigger gasp). Her name was Deborah. Judges were appointed by God. She not only led Israel but she even led them into battle. And Israel won because another woman, Jael, drove a tent stake through the enemy's head (not sure exactly how this happened). It was because these two women stood up that Israel won the battle. And you will also note that under her leadership Israel became stronger.

God is unable to do what is wrong. He appointed Deborah to this leadership to lead Israel. If this was wrong he could not have done it. So why is McCain "evil" for choosing Palin as his running mate?

In my bible, it says that the same Holy Spirit that lives in man also lives in woman. We, who are christians, are united by His Holy Spirit. Galatians 3:27-28. Then why say she is not qualified because she is woman?

Please respond to this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I wanted you to know I directed my homeschool readers to help answer your question. Hang in there it will get better. They are having to adjust to being home. When I get some time I will try to answer on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Yes, McCain is evil for so many reasons, but not for picking a woman as his VP candidate. Just kidding! :)
I think we should vote on a leader because of their character, their stand on issues, and if they will be good for our country as a whole. I do not think we should or should not vote for a candidate because of their race or gender.
I understand your frustration.

Anonymous said...

Iam so glad you are writing. Just saw the blog today. Only got to red as few. Not sure how many there are but I am going to go back when I have some more time. I love your writing and your reflections on everything. We really do think so much alike. I hope youare going to share some of your stories you have written. Maybe you have and I just haven'tgone far enough. I miss you. I really need to be writing a book about what I am going trhough but no one would believe it. It would have to be called someting like A Disciple in Hell's kitchen!