Sunday, August 24, 2008

Up on the rooftop, stomp, stomp, stomp...

I always knew this day would come. Here is how it all went down.

We came home from church this afternoon. Robbie was in the other room and I was in the kitchen getting lunch together, when I heard this noise. That's odd, I thought, it sounds like there is something on the roof. If you have ever been through a hurricane type storm, you know that after the storm has passed there are a lot of critters that get stirred up. So I naturally thought that it was some sort of critter that was trying to find his way back home. Albeit it sounded like a large critter, but in my drive to get the gang fed, I dismissed it. SO then I heard it again! This is the part where I raised my voice a little and said, "Robbie there is someone on our roof!" (to some this may have sounded like a scream, but I am sure it was not.) To which he replied, "No there's not!". To which I replied emphatically,"YES. THERE. IS." To placate the hallucinating wife, Robbie goes outside and guess what? There was someone on our roof. Not just any someone, but a boy someone, with the last name O'Brien. Yes my beautiful boy was on the roof. He had been thinking about this for awhile, as evidenced by the step stool on the trampoline. He was literally running on the rooftop, wind blowing in his hair, smile on his face! And what do you think was his plan for getting down? If you guessed jumping off the roof and onto the trampoline, you win! Robbie calmly explained to him the idea of angles and trajectory and if he hit the trampoline in the wrong spot he would go flying into our neighbors yard. To which my son replied, "Oh! I did not think about that!" (Thought to self, "DUH! Obviously!") With the help of dad, he finally made it down safely and all is well!

Part of me wanted to strangle him. But then another part of me wanted to tell him how proud I was of him, because he went on an adventure!

No comments: