Friday, November 2, 2007

Mother Guilt

Last week my youngest son Riley, 6, complained of a toothache. I dutifully scheduled an appointment that afternoon. When we got there I was horrified to find out how many cavities he had. I am not telling how many he had because then you would know what a horrible mom I am. He also had to have the tooth extracted. Unfortunately this is not the worst part of the story. When he went to bed that night he put it under the pillow for the tooth fairy. When he awoke the next morning he brought the tooth to me!!!! Yes, I had forgotten to do the quick exchange while he was sleeping. I explained to him that the tooth fairy was probably very busy and she would come by tonight. Unfortunately this is not the worst part of the story. I am sad to say that this same scenario played out the next morning... and the next morning... and, yes, the next morning. Until finally on the FIFTH day I told him. "I called the tooth fairy and she told me to give you this $5 and I will just take the tooth from you." I can not believe I failed him! I am sure he doesn't believe in the tooth fairy which makes it worse. He might be OK if a mythological creature forgot about him, but his own mother!!!! He would be better off if he did believe in the tooth fairy. Yes, Robbie and I are already saving up for our children's therapy!! I just hope we have enough!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Riley :(