Sunday, April 6, 2008

Frustration

Frustration has an interesting definition. Here are just a few:
  1. a deep chronic sense or state of insecurity and dissatisfaction arising from unresolved problems or unfulfilled needs
  2. a feeling of annoyance at being hindered or criticized
  3. a feeling of dissatisfaction, often accompanied by anxiety or depression, resulting from unfulfilled needs or unresolved problems.
So basically it comes down to this. I want something or I want to do something, but someone or something is standing in my way, so I become frustrated. Example, A parent wants to watch a TV show, but child keeps coming in and asking silly questions. So parent becomes frustrated. Parent then says, "Can't you see that I am watching this show?"

So now I have decided that frustration is basically a totally selfish emotion. The child only wants to connect with parent. But the parents unfulfilled need is to watch TV. Does this sound right? Whose needs are more important here?

Why do we allow frustration in our lives? It is a completely negative and self-centered emotion that, I think, does more harm than good. As Christians, aren't we called to consider others before ourselves? (See Phil 2.) What if we allowed a little grace to manifest instead of frustration?

No comments: