Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Praying Earnestly!

In my devotional yesterday I was reminded of the story of Elijah.

The verse was from James 5:17: "Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly." This verse refers to the story in 1 Kings 18:41-46. In this story, Elijah prays, after a 3 1/2 year prayer induced drought, that it would rain. He told his servant to go out and look for the rain. Several times he asked his servant to do this and each time the servant came back and said there was nothing. Until the seventh time, he came back and said there is a small cloud rising from the sea. What I love about this is the perseverance of Elijah. If it was me I would have given up on the first report and wondered why God was not listening to me. But not Elijah and he was a man just like us. He prayed and prayed and continued to pray!

What is it that is keeping us from continually praying? What are we afraid of? Are we afraid of God looking stupid? Or are we afraid of us looking stupid?

No comments: